Monday, December 22, 2008

Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.

When the Senate Dems. all started patting Lieberman on the back last month the common line was - things were said in the heat of the campaign, now we need to move on.

So everybody picked sides, dug-in, and generally acted like assholes to one another. Hey, that's politics, but now we're going to let bygones be bygones and all be friends again.

So why is Lieberman still writing Op-Eds with John McCain and Lindsey Graham? I understand the debacle in Iraq is still in full-swing, but it seems like mixed messages are being sent with that. As I've mentioned before, it's my opinion that politicians should pick their friends carefully as they will be judged by the actions of the whole caucus.

If this is not a case of keeping your friends close but keeping your enemies closer, I'd recommend the Dems tread carefully with this alliance.


----------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. - for some good lulz, check out the first line of the article
it is clear that what was once unthinkable there is now taking place: A stable, safe and free Iraq is emerging.
I'm pretty sure none of those three ever admitted that the prospect of a "stable, safe and free Iraq" was unlikely, let alone unthinkable.

2 comments:

Killer B said...

Good call with this article.

I too am confused. Why, exactly, did Mr. McCain endorse waging war in Iraq if the very goals they outlined (discretionary war, subtle regime change, peace for the Iraqis, etc, etc) were "unthinkable"?

Ooops...

Jane Dough said...

I like the last paragraph "the success in Iraq in the last two years." I must be getting my information from a bad source. What success?